Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking peer-to-peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmann

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
CA
I need a tremendous amount of help on this one. I spent all day trying to get a network up and going and to no avail. The network is set up as a peer to peer. Everything was fine until one workstation was taken off the network and Win2000 Pro was installed on it. Now nothing on the network communicates. Here is the situation:

We currently have 4 workstations that are trying to communicate between each other. Two of them are Win 2000 Pro.. the other is Win NT 4 SP 6 and the last is Win 98.
They all belong to the workgroup 'WORKGROUP' The names of the computers are as follows in the order listed above. MIKE, ELE-Mixhead, CNC_Mill and Kew 1. When i check on network neighborhood they only show their own computers, no one elses.

The IP's and Subnetmask are as follows for each as well
MIKE IP:158.232.322.32 Subnet: 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway: empty and so on. The others are relatively the same just different IP's.

I have NETBeui TCP/IP protocols and i don't see PPPoE which i believe is one we need, is it not? All the workstations are running through a hub. Like i said before, this all worked until the one workstation was formated and Win2000Pro was put on. I did not set up the original network so i'm kinda goin' in blind to this. I'm also relatively new to networking. Could anybody please help me with this problem?

Since you say you are new to networking, I would definitely suggest you start reading up on it if you are now to be the administrator of this particular one. If I were in your shoes I would yank all networking details set up by the previous administration and set everything my way.

I know this isn't much help but you really didn't give much info about what it is you want to do.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

all i really want to do is actually get the network to recognize the separate clients.. i do not have the time to yank everything apart... thanks for your feedback

Bit more info would be useful. Revamping one machine should make no difference to rest of network (what happens if you leave the revamped machine disconnected)? Have you done anything physically to the network (eg, attached/disconnected cabling). You're sure components all ok (hub & Nics all light up)?

I'd suggest disconnecting them all from hub, then try just 2 machines. If you have a CAT5 crossover cable available, try just connecting 2 machines with that & see if it all works.

I'm assuming all protocols etc are correctly installed on each machine if working previously (btw, all you need is TCP/IP - you don't need netbeui).

Problem is there's not enough information in your post (other than 'revamped machine' - which is too general) to point to any obvious cause - hence the suggestions (as a start).

Is it possible to ping one another?
You can also try "\\other computers IP"

Swimpy ;)

no that does not work.. i tried to ping the other computers. Now from what i understand the IP's were all assigned. The IP from the new computer is dramatically different than the others. How should the IP's and Subnet Masks relate to one another?

subnet masks should be the same. IP addresses from the same (private) set. MIKE IP:158.232.322.32 Subnet: 255.255.0.0 - which you gave earlier is a public IP address. Where does it gett his from (ie, is it manually supplied to network properties, or is it picking it up from and external DHCP server - eg ISP)

You should be using:-

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 or
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 or
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

For a small network, 192.168 numbers are commonly used with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (eg, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4).

2k will allocate a 169.x.x.x number if it can't pick one up from DHCP and there is not one allocated manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back