Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Norstars via T-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodbytes

MIS
Oct 9, 2003
US

Tek-Tips is a terrific site with lots of great technicians contributing their input (the best overall technical site I've found). Hoping I can get a few nagging questions answered about an upcoming Norstar site expansion.

The following expansion has to happen quickly (within 1 or maybe 2 weeks) so I may not have enough time to do everything at once.

Here's the background. I've inherited a situation where we've got an existing MICS 4.1.6 (ver SP:30NDG04 NAT) with NAM 4.0.04C voicemail. Currently running 2 analog DID cards with over 100 target lines, 4 LS/DS cards. The first 6 port expansion card is full and it will probably need to be upgraded to XC 6.1MR software and another 6 port (combo) card if they continue to grow.

The company is moving 30 of their existing users to a new, 2nd site via point to point T-1 (using Cisco 1841 boxes that they've already ordered). We'll grab perhaps 8 of the channels for 2 way intercom and DID traffic (and also voicemail if we upgrade to 6.1).

Management has asked about the wisdom of installing a higher end system (such as a BCM). So far, I'm thinking they've probably got some room to grow the Norstar if they do the necessary upgrades. Take a look at the following questions and then let me know what you think....

1) Due to time constraints, I was wondering if I can get away with just installing another MICS ver 5.0 at the 2nd site for now along with a NAM 4.0, then upgrade to 6.1 later. We've got analog lines on site for outdial traffic.

2) Another question I have concerns the number plan. They currently have 3 DID ranges (xxx-11xx, 12xx, 28xx). I've read that the 2nd site should (ideally) be on a completely separate number range. Can they carry over their same extension numbers from the old site to the new site without messing up the number plan or am I looking at another solution (?VOIP via Gateway) to do it that way??

3) They would like to be able to do overhead paging from Site A to Site B. Is this possible and if so, which software version(s) support this and where in programming would I find it?

4) I've read that we would need to upgrade the existing NAM (8 port with 1 key installed) to ver 4.1 before we upgrade the KSU to XC 6.1MR. Would it be easier to just order a new 4.1 upgraded hard drive (rather than try to find an older Backpack unit and all of the proper NVM patches)?? I don't want to lose the existing programming on the NAM or on the KSU so good backups are crucial.

I'll very much appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/ideas about this upgrade. Thanks in advance....

I know for sure you can do the overhead paing. I've got two sites with 6.0 tied with a point to point T-1. I did the programming through line pool accesds codes to open the T-1, an auto answer DN and page code on the far end. THey only use it one direction (out to a plant).

Thanks Nortek,

Good to know the networked paging works.

Since going back to add PRI is not available to me, I'm actually considering an MCK solution. It looks to be a straightforward application that solves the numbering plan problem. As long as the 2nd site doesn't keep growing too much bigger, it could be perfect for this particular application.

Anyone else out there have experience with the MCK extenders (Gateway 2, 7000 units) ??

I've got 3 sites w/ MCK's. They work great but now that they've been bought out by some new company advance replacement is near impossible to get without some kind of mait. contract with them. They are really trying to make it hard to work with them. Of the 10 MCK's i have installed in the last 4 years, 3 of them have gone bad due to RAM issues. Of course they say the only way to repair them is to either send them in and have your customer down until it's fixed or do the advanced replacement. If they let you. Hope this info helps.
Nortek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back