Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Nightmare? Or misguided approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erconnor

Technical User
Aug 8, 2005
US
I need a little insight, or pills.. 1 PC, 2 laptops. Each laptop has wired ethernet, and wireless adapter. PC has just one ethernet. All systems XP Pro. I share an internet connection with my neighbor, the connection is based out of his condo, and I recieve the wireless signal in mine. Both laptops connect flawlessly. Without making modifications to the PC, I want to network both laptops and the PC, and share my incoming connection with the PC. I have a basic hub, and a netgear router. I've been messing with everything I can conceive but to no avail. My main problem is, is I'm not sure if it's feasable, and if it is, no idea where to logically begin. I connect all the systems to the router (or hub, depending on my patience level at the time) and start trying to figure something out. The laptops' internet connection becomes useless once they're plugged into the router. I tried setting up a network between the 3, using entirely different parameters from the network the wireless cards are connected to. Also tried disabling DHCP and ultimately turning everything in the router off, and configuring ALL devices to my neighbors things, manually configuring the ip's, gateway, yadda yadda. This is rather vague, but I just wanted to the initially dillemna out there, and answer more detailed attempts to keep my sanity later on. Thanks.

Basically you will have to pick one laptop to make it share its internet connection. |Act as a "server" if you will.

And then From the Desktop use that connection.

Use the Share internet connection Wizard on the laptop to set it up and then configure the desktop Accordingly.

i.e if the ICS wizard set the Wired lan card oif the laptop to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 you'll have to set the desktop to have an Ip similar to the laptop. i.e 10.0.0.X same subnet. and the Gateway will be the laptops IP address. 10.0.0.1 in this case.

Once that is set. it should start working. You might need to give the desktop the DNS configuration from laptop also.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I know you don't want to alter the PC, but why not just get a wireless card or USB wireless network adapter for the PC?

might make things easier!

Dave

I agree with dneufarth. a USB wireless adapter is cheap , and simple to use. much simpler than my alternative above.
And there is no altering involved.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If the neighbor is on the same transformer you could use powerline networking and forget the wireless stuff completely. His router to the powerline adapter, your powerline adapter to the hub.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Just a note: I do not think your provider will like your sharing the connection with a neighbor.

Check your contract and local laws.

Most providers permit more than one pc to use the same internet connection for a "home network", but 2 households are not a"home network".

You might be open to penalities including theft of service charges.

In the UK, the default "contract" is that the internet connection is valid to cover the address at which it is registered.

anyway, back to the technical aspect.

I think you will find that it is not a network addressing scheme problem.

You're neighboroughs wireless router will be enabled with DHCP, which is why your laptops can get the connection. You obviously cant get that on the pc without a wireless card. For you to use a wireless router at your side. you need to switch the router to promiscuous mode / or passive, which changes its "wireless routering" capabilities and turns it into an access point with a ethernet switch attached. Set your routers gateway to that of the Internet modem routers gateway. You then need to plug your PCs ethernet cable into the router and assign your machines gateway to that of your router, not the neighboroughs. You should still leave the ip on your machine to be configured by your neighboroughs DHCP modem router.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

BTW - the above post assumes that you have a wireless router of your own. If you're netgear router is a standard (not WiFi) router, then you cant use it. You would have to carry out Vacunita's approach of using ICS, but this means that one of the laptops would need to be on all the time (well, whenever you wanted to access the internet on the PC).

The Wireless card for the dekstop would be the easiest option, especially since I'm not a big fan of netgear stuff......

LINKSYS all the WAY!

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back