Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking ME with Win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmcb

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I am having no luck getting My Network Places and Network Neighborhood to recognize each other. I have 4 Win 98 systems, all of which can share files and printers. The ME system refuses to see the Win 98 systems and visa versa. The network is ethernet with an Intel Hub and a Netgear hub.

TCP/IP (the internet using DSL) works perfectly on all machines.

Thanks,

Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglobal.net

Howdy:

Do you have the Netbeui protocol installed on all the machines?? try it !!!

Murray

Is there any chance that you cancelled the network login prompt when booting? Try Start, Logoff - then be sure to enter a name at the login screen?

Actually, I've found that you don't need to have a network login for Network Neighborhood (Network Places) to work. For example, on my home LAN, I've got 2 Win98SE pc's and 1 Win2K. Both Win98SE pc's have Windows Logon selected for "Primary Network Logon", that way I'm not bothered with the prompt when I boot. Pc's can still see each other and share resources just fine.

bobmcb,
Definitely try NetBEUI if all else seems to fail. You might also want to try uninstalling all network adapters, services, clients, and protocols on the ME computer and reinstall them. ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

That's correct, but the computer still needs to logged onto at least once. Do you have Logoff username in your start menu?

Good question. I'm not in front of them at the moment, but I'll check and get back with you...

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

smah,
Yeah, I guess I never really payed attention to that small detail. Apparently, I'm logged on automatically since I have a "log off username" option.

Oh well, at least I'm positive that it's a Windows logon, and not Client for MS Networks...

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Actually, I was thinking it might be possible to be logged on without a username (not sure about this), but a win 9x/ME pc connected to a network will have a 'logoff' option on the start menu, but a standalone pc will not even have the logoff option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back