Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking laptop to desk top computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nats311

Technical User
Dec 29, 2006
US
I have a linksyss wireless router connected to two desk top coomputers by ethernet cable and to a laptop via wireless com. How do I set up a network so I can access files on my two desktop computers from the laptop?

I have tried the XP netwrking procedure many times without success. They alsso call for inserting the flask drive where you have stored the netwrok info into the AP. There are no usb ports on my router.

I also followed the Linksys procedure to no avail. What do i do?

nats311

go to connections and right click the network adapter you are using and go to properties. a box should pop up that has all your protocols listed such as tcp/ip and such. make sure file and printer sharing for microsoft it checked. if its not in the list click the install tab and then service. then it should install. sometime netbeui works when nothing else does ..this is not supported with xp anymore but you can still install this protocol from the xp cd it is in the support folder. google "where is netbeui protocol on my xp cd" and follow those steps. but anyway the go to services ----> run box type mmc then file---> add/remove snap-in then services. make sure server is started and computer browser. if its still not working install netbeui after that it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back