Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETWORKING issue two twin boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

themoe

MIS
Jul 27, 2002
US
Ok. I have two linux 7.3 RH boxes.

Both are on an internal network protected by a firewall.

Both have the exact same route table.

[root@kong root]#
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
10.1.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 10.1.1.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

[root@frogger root]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
10.1.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 10.1.1.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Now...kong...has been given an outside address by the provider...BUT. Kong cannot reach the external network via the shell. Kong can browse the web but it cannot ping the address it was given.

frogger...CAN ping outside. But was not given an outside address.

These seem squared up...
/etc/host.conf
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf

I had the firewall completely open..no dice.

Hello,

I don't know if I correctly understand what you post (more info needed!), but I'll try to look for the problem.

Is the outside IP given to kong or is it given to the router and it delivers incomming traffic to kong? I ask this because you should have a route with outside IP range and not 10.1.X.X range.

Can you post the output of kong's ifconfig -a? And /etc/hosts?

Only with your routing tables info, I supose that your system can be something like:

You have a router with an external IP X.X.X.X and an internal IP 10.1.1.2. Both hosts access the net using nat at the router (the router manages IPs and from the outside it seems like traffic from both hosts comes from your external IP).

For the incomming traffic (the trafic with your external IP as destination) is delivered to kong when it reaches the router. Logically if a packet is involved in a comunication stablished by frogger, it is delivered to frogger.

Maybe I'm completly wrong, but can this be your situation?

Bye,

jmiturbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back