Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Home Wireless Network to Office Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

theilercabin

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2011
US
I own and manage a local law firm and would like to know how to do the following:

My home has a simple Linksys wireless network utilizing a Linksys WRT546. I primarily use my Dell Laptop and my wife uses the same.

Both computers are running Windows 7

My office also has a simple Linksys wireless network utilizing a Linksys WRT546. Most of the computers are running Windows 7 or XP. (If it's a necessity I will update the XP computers to 7).

I simply want to be able to access my office wireless network, or at least specific computers from my home wireless network.

An example: I am at home using my laptop. I need to access a Word doc or get a number from an email in my Outlook Inbox. I would like to be able to simply connect to my office network and grab what I need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Several ways to do this, gotomypc,VNC,windows own remote desktop. There are plenty of sites on the internet that can walk you through setting this up, but if you don't know, save the headache, and hire a reputable local company.

I am hoping to get a little better advice than that.

Yes, I would recommend the Linksys RV042 as well. I have a client that uses it and we can connect to them via a VPN (built in function of the device) and then use remote desktop to get to their server.

It's 100% secure. Question - will YOU be able to set up the router to allow this type of functionality. It's NOT as simple as a regular home grade router to get the aforementioned setup in place, so you might have to hire that done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back