Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking concerns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Currently, I've got an office entirely behind one single gateway/router that is the only router we have. All machines and gateway are on the same subnet; 10.10.1.0/24

I'm going to be putting in a second router for a dedicated T1 that will handle our replication for DR purposes. My concern, how should I go about routing our replication data on this dedicated T without changing the subnet/IP info of the machines that will be doing the replication.

The machines that currently do the replication are all part of an Active Directory domain running win2k3 standard. All the machines currently have their Default Gateway set to the single router we have.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? I need to keep the machines on the same subnet, same IP addresses, yet route their replication data to a different gateway/router?

You'll just create a route on your default router to the new router for the traffic destined behind it.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Ok, that makes sense. I should have mention we're a Cisco shop so the routers are Cisco 1750's.

So, I'd just create an access-list that matches the destination IP's, then have what, a policy-map, that would send the matched data to the other address? I'll have to do some more research, been awhile since I've had to configure routers and rules.

No, you'll just create an ip route from your default gateway to the second router for all IP's that it's attached to.

You're probably better off in the Cisco forum than here, this isn't a Windows issue really.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back