Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking an xp and win2000 w/ linksys router and dynamic ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kotok

Technical User
Jul 12, 2005
US
I need some help here. I tried using the network wizard on xp but unfornately the laptop has no floppy drive so i can't create a network disk for my win2000 computer. I have read that it is hard to setup a network when you have dynamic internet (road runner cable). So far my laptop running xp sees my desktop, but my desktop doesn't see my laptop.

best case scenario i would like them networked constantly even wirelessly through the linksys wr54tg router for file and print sharing.

if that is beyond my level i would like to at least be able to connect them occasionaly to allow ease in moving files for reformating.

so if anyone has advice on where to start i would greatly appreciate it. I downloaded lanspy and it doesn't see the laptop.

well both computers see eachother now and i can access shared folders. but access through folders is slow it seems like explorer is about to crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back