Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking a NAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyJC

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
To All,

I posted a few days ago about trying to get my NAM on a tcp/ip network and from the responses and documents I received there is still some unanswered questions I would like to pose to the group.

The NAM I have has a Mod. No. NT5B76AL93 02 and is dated 11-17-1997 w/ Ver. 4.0c software. It is connected to a 0X32 via. 3 phone extensions.

Could someone address the following for me:

First question should be "Can it be Done" and then the rest.

1. There is no network card installed, could you recommend one that will work.
2. There is a keybord and mouse port but no video card. It seems that having video would be helpful?
3. Seems that I need a utility called "NAM IP Config Lite", is it available, if so were?
4. The docs I have says the nic has to be in slot 5 this one has a modem in there now.
5. Not sure these are the right docs either.

Any help would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks,
Danny
dcallega@nassau.cv.net

I heard there was one bad batch of NAMs like these, I have one, too.
From what I understand, you need a 'Mezzanine' card for the video part. This will allow you to hook up a monitor, which you will need for networking to the LAN over OS/2. As to what model NIC you need, I'm not sure, but I've seen some 3COM. The NAM IP Config lite is a floppy you need to load.
Sorry I'm not of much help with this.
Don, Melissa, any suggestions?

Danny,

What version of NAM do you have? There is a Nortel Tip that has a small list of NIC's they recomend and all the info for configuring it, it's from 1997 but the list has not changed I will email it to you. And yes you will need NAM IP LITE to setup your IP address on the NAM, if you hook up a Monitor and keyboard you can change the IP address using them. The card for the keyboard and mouse doesn't have a port for the monitor, I haven't seen that before. As for the NIC, I'm not sure about it only going in slot 5 maybe someone else can step in and answer that one i think we need to know what version the NAM is though. There is a good FAQ on this site that someone put together about determining the type of NAM you have.

For what it's worth I have had success an NE2000 clone card but any card that has drivers for OS/2 should work though. As far as the slot, all of the NAM's I've ever had my head inside were just IBM "pc on a card" Pentium PC's so I can't think of any technical reason why the slot should make any difference.

As far as video goes you should be able to just slap in an old VGA card (again I have not tried any recent video cards, I just dip into the pile of old 256K-1Meg video cards in the corner :). Newer cards would probably work too, but then you might run into a driver issue or the like. If the display doesn't come up, I believe there is a code that you had to enter **SVGANEEDED or something like that, maybe somebody who has a manual handy can look that up for you.

>>>>> Mike <<<<<

To All,
Some additional info!

1. It's a Applications Module II
2. Has 6 ports active and Software ver 4.0.04C installed
3. Has 8 slot backplane P/N 09J6992 w/1 PICMG, 6 ISA, 2 PCI
4. Has a 14.4 Modem
5. Has 4 memory slots w/ 2 4 meg modules installed.
6. Has 2 DVC boards P/N 85-0485-001 REV A (96-0031-001)
7. Processor board P/N 85H1120 (IBM 586 maked on board)
8. Unsure of OS version

I tried a couple of PCI VGA cards but no luck. Found a few more older ones, will try tomorrow.

Does anyone have the IP Lite software and docs they could send me, or point me in the right direction.

I have the software Install and Coorinator guides, and CD-ROM but I am looking for any other docs on the system that are available.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, its greatly appreceated.

Danny
dcallega@nassau.cv.net

To All,

Roldan thanks for the docs you sent, they got me a long way.

Allways looking for additional information and docs such as, Installation and Maint. manual, Processor board, DVC card, hardware configuration, , they would be a real treat.

Now that I have the video, keyboard and mouse working, a Norstar approved NIC physically installed and I have the required drivers, do I still need the NAM IP Lite? Seems config could be done from OS, if so were can I get it.

I know nothing about OS/2, or the startup procedures for the VM software. Can anyone add some input on the subject? On commands needed to maneuver around, or some pointers in the right direction.

System boots up seems to be some config errors related to memory and devices at startup, OS loads, VM starts, the tones indicate system is up and the screen diplays:

Log
Date and Time ==> OS2You 3.2 Limited host mode started at device \pipe\

Can't seem to get anywere from here.

Thanks again to everyone who has added their input.

Danny

To activate the OS/2 desktop screen on the monitor login to F915, scroll through to find monitor package, press show button, press add, at password prompt type SVGANEEDED, then reboot the NAM and you should see the regular OS/2 desktop when it's finished rebooting. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Brian,

F915 says inactive feature, any other suggestions.

Danny

Keep trying feature codes starting with 916 until you get a password prompt. Password = ACCESS2. NAMs will often increment the access feature code when they have been configured on more than one Norstar system. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

To All,

I managed to getinto ACCESS2 (F921) on this one and found the Monitor Pkg. only to run into a password.

Danny

To all,

Thanks again to everyone for their help. NAM now has NIC, mission completed.

Danny

Hey Danny,

What type of NIC did you use in your NAM, just curious if it was one on the ITAS list?

Roldan,

I used a 3com 905B-TX 10/100 pci card. It is not on the approved list but installed with no problems.

Also used a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM pci video card for the monitor.

Danny

ok thanks Danny, I'm gonna have to install one soon and I'm having a little trouble locating one that's on the list.

If this helps any, I finally found my own notes again on changing the IP adress on a NAM.

TO REASSIGN TCP/IP ADDRESS OF NAM

At Main screen:
Go to OS2/Window
At c:\ prompt type tcpcfg
At TCP/IP Configuration screen change IP address
Close window (from top left icon)
Save
At Prompt “Autostarting Mail? Enter No
At c:\ exit

At Main menu
Go to Window List
ACDMASTER