Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking 2000 & XP giving me grief

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper2050

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have a small home network 2 computers using XP pro and 1 using 2000 pro. the XP computers talk to each other fine and I can access shared folders on each one from the other. the problem lies with the 2000 machine from it I can access the shared folders on both the XP machines with no problems but when I try to access the 2000 machine from one of the XP machines a password prompt pops up and asks for user name and password. I've tried entering Administrator and the password of the 2000 machine but I get this error "\\server is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions. the network name cannot be found." I have set the permissions so I can have full access. but it just won't let in. don't know what to do.

Hi

Have you added yourself (your username and password) as a User on the Windows 2000 machine? If not, that would cause the problem you described......

Try using <computername>\administrator with the administrator password when prompted, where <computername> is the name of the W2K Pro machine.

Let me know if this works for you.

yeah that worked now I can't get the other XP machine to see the shared printer if it's not one thing it's another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back