Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking 2 PCs at home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcg123

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
ZA
I have tried everything I can to network my 2 home PC's. One PC is windoze 95 and the other is win 98. I am using client for microsoft networks. I have tried TCP/IP but I am not sure how to use the IP addresses. Can you just make one up or something? Somebody please help me.
Thanks!

You could say "forget IP" and use NETBEUI which dumps the whole idea of IP. It tends to work better for two or three workstations as it was intended for peer to peer networking.

If you insist on IP, then a *normal* number to play with would something like:

192.168.1.1 host1
192.168.1.2 host2
255.255.255.0 subnet mask

Give it a try and let us know how you do.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I have tried that and I am currently using these three protocols:
netBEUI; IPX/SPX and TCP/IP
When I put tcp/ip on the windoze 98 PC with the ip addresses it works (I assume) because when I go to network neighborhood my pc sees itself. but on the windows 95 pc I do exectlly the same subnet mask and ip address but i chande the last number as you said. so i put all three protocols. and now the pc sees itself. I tried Removing ipx/spx but the the pc coulden't see itself and more. IPX/SPX in netBIOS enabled. Could I use all three protocols or must I only use 1? Thanx.

you can use what ever works for you :) We could decipher what is happening but hey.. how much time do you want to spend on it? Normally, NB will work just fine by itself. IPX does the same thing but provides the "transport" for the NB.. hence the NB over IPX. There are other settings for the NB of whom is the master browser etc. We can go there if you would like.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

If you're just connection two nics then you need a crossover cable and not a regular cat5. YOu don't mention how the PC's are connected but that's my guess....

Can you ping the other pc?
Do you have both machines in the same workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back