Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWorker server fails to monitor/control (remote) devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instructor
May 18, 2003
DE
Hello,
i just wonder whether anybody else has seen this ...

All of a sudden, our NW server (W2K8R2 SP1, NW 7.6.2.5 & 7.6.3.5) is incapable to control (remote) devices.
Since a while this happens about once a month.
Unfortunately, as the system is very powerful, you will not even notice it immediately.
What happens is obviously this:

- NW fails to monitor/control the devices on one of our two SNs.
- In fact, all nsrmmds will die on the first one while nsrexecd is still running.
- Other backups running to the other SN are still fine.
- On the NW server, NW will fill the /tmp and/or the /tmp/sec directory very fast with hundred thousands or more than a million LCK files. As EMC told me, their names refer to the device monitoring process.
- Restarting the NW services at the 'defective' SN does not help - no nsrmmds will be restarted here later.
- You must either restart the NW services at the NW server or reboot the machine to make the environment work again.
- Finally, do not forget to delete all these LCK files.

I do not really expect a solution for this phenomenon - i just want to know whether anybody else from the community has experienced the same problem.

Any feedback appreciated.

I have not seen this with Windows2008R2 Servers and/or Storagenodes but i had lots of strange behaviour with IPv6 so i usually deactivate IPv6 on all 2008R2 Networker Servers and storagenodes.
(via Registrykey DisabledComponents).

Do you have IPv6 active ?

Thanks for the input.

I just re-checked - IPv6 is in fact disabled on the server and the SNs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back