Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker Recovery Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykul71

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
I am currently testing and documenting the steps on how to recover our Windows Networker Server using EMC's document esg67348. I am using a single Networker server that backs up to a 24 slot library. Everything works fine until I get to the "nsrck -L7" step of the process. I have one tape on hand for testing that had the previous nights incremental backups on it. I recovered the bootstrap info with this tape but when I run "nsrck -L7" it asks me for a different tape. I would like to know how to tell which tapes the nsrck command is going to ask for beforehand so that I can have them ready for recovery. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

The reason for that behavior is that bootstrap backups run as full. Index backups only do this if the data backup level is a full.

To find out the recent index backups, just ask the media database with mminfo, like:

mminfo -q "name=index:client_name,savetime>=1 week ago" -r "volume" -ot

Unfortunately, you have to do this for all clients. So you better inventory the jukebox. this should already do the job.

Another good method to prevent this problem is to store index and bootstraps on the same media. To do this, you must first setup a new pool, like:
name: index_boot
save set: index
bootstrap
No other criteria!

Good luck

Thank you for the index info. That helped me out a lot. I am not versed at Networker so I am not sure how to go about setting up a new pool. The only pools I am familiar with are media pools. If you don't mind could you give me some more info so I can set this up?

In the NW Administration window. go to Media - Pools and create a new one. Just assign the name to it and enter the two lines in the Save set list.

Finally, do not forget to label a media to this pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back