Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarpent

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
HI all

I am using Networker 7.2.2 Build 422 on a Linux AS 3.0 Server.
We are using a LTO-2 Faststor ADIC tape drive. Network connections are all 100FD on all clients and the backup server.

What I see when backing up is 10-11 MB per second. MY clients are all set to Client Parallelism = 7.

1) What are my options to increase speed within Networker.

2) How will this affect recovery?

Thanks In Advance

Let me suggest you read the hints in the Performance Tuning Guide. If a test with bigasm does not show any improvement, the problem is obviously the number of small files.

In this case look for alternatives like
- backup to disk
- snapimage
- rawasm
or others.

Thanks for this hint.

What is bigasm ?? I am new to networker

Thanks I did a search and got the performance link.
Thanks

You said you set the client parallelism=7. Did you increase the server parallelism to allow for the increase number of savestreams that the backup server will accept? If not, then the default is silll 4, and this is what the server will process at any given time, regardless of how many savesets are being backed up by the clients.

Increasing the server parallelism can slow down the recovery time. Only way to know for sure what is the backup/recover times will be to perform a benchmark test to determine the current times, then adjust the parallelism values accordingly.

This can be misunderstood: The server parallelism primarily does not directly increase the multiplexing factor for the device. However, it is true that you must set the SP high enough to be able to multiplex. If you keep the drive streaming with 1 stream only - great. You can not go faster.

The device parallelim factors (Target session & Max. sessions) are the primary factors to detemine this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back