Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWorker and StorageTek Autoloader 9710

Status
Not open for further replies.

itergo

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
DE
Hi you all,

have you ever heared that you have to put the "Load sleep" parameter in the timers section (in 6.1.1) or in the preferences section (in 5.x) from the autoloader to 180 seconds to work correct with the NetWorker?
Default is 5 seconds so the jump makes me a little thoughtful.

Stefan Bartels
ITERGO Hamburg
Germany

This depends on the tape technology you are using. I.E. DLT has a long load/eject time so this number would need to be adjusted for that. However, I have not heard of 180sec though.

I haven't actually heard that you need to change the sleep value but it does make sense. Not all libraries perform tape operations at the same speed, for instance DLT seek times are at least 2X faster than LTO. Different Pickers or robotic arms perform library functions at different speeds also. So this means that your device/library might need to have networker wait longer for a flag to be returned. You don't want Networker to assume that because it hasn't heard back from your device in 5 seconds that it should timeout the operation. Or specifically send a new command to the device before it has finished the current task. For a 2nd opinion you colud always check with STK Support.

Hope this helps,

Larry

We were getting bunches of "unload errors" on our DLT7000 drives on our STK 9710 silos. The drives would hold onto the tapes and sometimes disable. Often we had to open the silo and manually unmount the tapes. Anyway, we increased the sleep load and sleep unload timers to 45 seconds. We only get an occasional error now. 5 seconds may be a problem, 180 seconds sounds long. You can always adjust.

A follow up - the unload errors weren't a problem until we converted to Networker 6.x.

See if you have another portmapper running. If you are using the Storagetek libattach with the 9710 this can cause the problem, just stop the service and it is ok.

Yes it is, StorageTek has upgraded it while installing tape drives.

set it to 90 secs. i never had a problem. the more active is your library, the more time delays you need to specify,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back