Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker 7.3.2 Dynamic Drive Sharing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodings

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
Current configuration is ADIC I2000 Robot with six LT03 drives. Networker is version 7.3.2 ( on Solaris 10 O/S). We are utilising Dynamic Drive sharing which is pants!!. For example a Unix backup which contain nine filesystem will use all six drives if they are available, unfortunatley any other backups are sat waiting in line until a drive becomes free - as more hosts are added to Networker, we are finding that some backups are not finished by the time the overnight backup window is over - is there any way of fine tuning at Networker level, so the Networker server and storage node can only see a couple of tape drive and dedicated storage nodes can only see one each, or must it be first done at robot level??

Hi,

sounds a bit strange that all storage nodes and DSNs has all devices shared. Not is it only inpractical, it also takes extra resources from networker to have extra nsrmmd processes running for all devices. A UNIX box will hardly be able to utilize 6 LTO3 at a maximum either (ah well it all depends but sounds like you could utilize the drives better).

You can of course start to delete a few of the devices in NetWorker without stop the physical sharing. Just because a drive is presented to the host doesnt mean networker needs to use it. SO for your DSNs you should probably think of present one or two devices instead of all six.

Each device has a hardware ID so just make sure you spread the load nicely between the different server, SN and DSNs.

I would however consider re-zoning. There is no reason to present a drive if it is not supposed to be used. There can be several problems with SCSI-bus resets etc in a shared tape environment, even from hosts that doesn't actively uses the device. You can use current setup till you find a good and balanced environment, but after that I would suggest a re-zoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back