Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networked computer thinks Excel document is open when it's not

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtluvsjc

Technical User
Apr 27, 2007
US
I have a MS Excel 2007 document saved on a Windows XP PC. On a daily basis, there are 3 other Windows XP (with Excel 2007) computers that access it, one Mac OSX 10.5.8 with Excel for Mac 2008, and one Mac OSX 10.5 with Excel for Mac 2008 that access it. Obviously only one person can access the document at a time. However, the Mac OSX 10.5 computer randomly thinks that the host PC has the document open, and will not be able to access it. It’s going on 2 days now and it still unavailable. Everyone else can access it but that one computer.

I tried disconnecting the network connection, then reconnecting, as well as rebooting the machine. Nothing seems to work and the computer still can not access it.

Any suggestions?

In the folder where the original file is located look for a file with the same name but starting with ~$ and delete it. It is the file that locks the original file when the original is in use.

You may have to go into Tools ->folder options and on the view tab untick the option to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" before you can see the file that starts with ~$. I had to change the view on Windows 7 but I can't remember if I had to change it on XP Pro. Don't forget to change the view back after you're done!

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back