Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networked Access97 DB losing connection in NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuKregor

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
AU
I have an Access97 database being used by 5 users over a WINNT network. Each user has the database open all day. About 1 or 2 times a week the database loses its connection to the server and some data is lost. The network itself however does not go down as no other networked apps go down. It seems to just affect access. If I close access and instantly reopening it everything works fine.
I also have another team using it over a Novell network with no problems in six months.
Is there some Win NT setting that is timing out my connection?
I don't want to split the database due to speed (but I know it would overcome the problem). I'd like to see if someone knows why this happens only under Win NT.

Hi!

You can refresh connections when you have to lose them.

Example (connection to Informix ODBC and links refresh):

Sub LinksRefresh()
On Error GoTo Err_LinksRefresh
Dim tbf As TableDef
Dim i As Byte

For Each tbf In CurrentDb.TableDefs
'If tbf.Connect <> &quot;&quot; Then 'First connection
If Left(tbf.Connect, 4) = &quot;ODBC&quot; Then 'When links are created

'E.g.: First connection to Informix ODBC
'tbf.Connect = &quot;ODBC;DSN=baltcdb;DB = baltcdb;Host = server;Serv = lat;SRVR = lat_online;Pro = onsoctcp;UID = informix;PWD = inform;&quot;

tbf.RefreshLink
'Debug.Print tbf.Name & &quot; >>> &quot; & tbf.Connect
End If
Next tbf

Exit Sub

Err_LinksRefresh:
If Err.Number = 3151 Then
MsgBox &quot;ODBC--connection failed!&quot; & vbLf & &quot;Inform about them your DB administrator!&quot;, vbCritical, &quot;Connection failed&quot;
docmd.quit '??????
Else
Resume Next
End If
End Sub

In my applications its work fine.

Aivars

Unfortunately I have no actual external connections. It's an all inclusive database which somehow is losing it's network connection. Could be timing out somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back