Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobnz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
NZ
I have 2 PC's networked running XP Pro PC's can ping each other using 'ping [name]'. In network places the workgroup MSHOME is visible but when I try to see which PC's are in MSHOME I get the error message "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access permissions". Drives on both PC's have been shared with permission for everyone to access. The network adapter does not have firewall checked. Each PC has only one user who is admin. There is no firewall in use on either PC.
Any Help appreciated.

Bobnz

Also make certain that both machines are set to be members of the Workgroup.

Are you saying that when you 'view workgroup computers' you don't see either computer name?

Are you using simple file sharing? If not using simple file sharing, there must be duplicate accounts on each computer. Also do the user accounts have passwords?

For reference, you may want to start here:

Thanks for the replies.
Guest login is enabled.
Both machines are set to the same workgroup.

I'm not using simple file sharing as that didn't work either.
Not sure what you mean by duplicate accounts on each computer? User A is on one PC user B is on the other, account names are different
Yes both users have passwords.

Bobnz

Smah means you need an account on machine B which matches credentials you use to log onto machine A and vice versa (ie, both machines should have both user details set up on them).

With XP using simplified sharing is equivalent of enabling the guest account (so you don't need to enable guest account if simplified sharing in use). If simplified sharing is not in use, you will need the matching accounts mentioned.

PS. Its also a good idea to set up more than one user account on each machine (and not to use the Administrator account for general use).

do you have administrator permissions? Or just a user who is not allowed to view the network>

In Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, make certain the first box is checked, to Automatically search for network devices and printers.

Check this again under My Network Places, Properties, View.

Try doing a Search (for computer) on one XP computer to see if it can find the other XP computer.

Thanks again for the replies.

Wolluf, did what you said and now when I do a search for the other PC it is found and I can open and explore its contents. However when I go to my network places and click on 'view workgroup computers' I get the error I mentioned in my first post.

Bobnz

Have you checked the both the share and security permissions on the shared resources you're are trying to access (in case the Everyone group has been removed)?

Also, if that's not it, might be a policy - run gpedit.msc - you can set policy to prevent access over the network (I'm not sure if this would also stop you browsing machine - so it might not be the problem, but worth mentioning).

Also, there are often discussions floating around this forum about disabling unnecessary services. Have you disabled any services on either system? I'm not sure this behavior could be caused by disabling a service, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ok sharing and security is the same on all shared resources on both PCs.
There is no group policy set for either users or computers.

What I have been able to do is from the run command enter \\[comp name]\[shared folder] this opens the shared folder from the other PC.
Also in My Network Places I have clicked on 'Add a Network place' and specified a shared folder on the other PC, so I can access files this way, I just can't get access to the Mshome workgroup!!! oh well at least I can see the files I want.
Thanks for all the responses.

Bobnz

Glad you've got a workround - wonder if you've lost the netbios name somehow - could put an entry in the lmhosts file \WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\lmhosts (may need creating - probably sample file - \WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back