Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
Hey everyone

The number one thing i hate is networks! they never work for me. today my problem is that i have 4 computers at work and they are all running windows 2000 with no added network compnents on them. i use a Linksys routr befsr41 ver.2 and it works fine all computer can see each other except for one which is never seen/found by the other computers the network ID is the same as all the other computers but no one can see it and when i try to click on computer near me in My network places it freezes for a while then comes up with "network not available. list of servers cannot be found" something to that extent. this morning i did it one last time by doing the wizard on the hidden pc and then the network id and restarting. now it is seen but all computers but it cannot be accessed "computer Duncan is not accessible" and now that its being seen by all the other computers it is passing on its "sickness" to my laptop which now cannot be seen by the other computers. plz help! its very frustrating!

Maybe a bad network card?

Thanks alot

Could be a bad NIC or cable. You also need to have something shared on each machine. One thing that is common to all of your computers is the router, maybe a bad switch port in it?

I am assuming of course, that your IP addys have the same first three octet numbers? IE 192.168.1.xxx?
Also they all need the same subnet mask such as 255.255.255.0 Good luck, and Happy Computing

Make sure you have enabled Microsoft file and printer sharing. Also Network ID's shouldnt be the same, only the workgroup.

Check you network protocols, add the netbios/ipx/spx protocol to all PC's and make sure MS client for networks is there as well and is the default for loggin onto the PC.

I presume with you using a router it gives out dhcp addresses so you shouldnt have to worry about the IP range or subnet mask as this is done automatically.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back