Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob14

Technical User
Sep 14, 2005
MU
Hi,

I just joined a company and could not logged on their network. I could not see any PC in the neighbourhood network. My PC was configured for TCP/IP connection and their PCS as well.All the PCS are connected to the main server , located kilometres away, through a router. I was able to work and log onto the internet without any problem as the router could recognise me.
I added NETBEUI to the protocols installed on my PC and can now browse through the network and all the local pcs are now visible to me.
Previously I could ping them by their ip address but could not see them.
Am I right to say that the PCs are locally networked by NETBEUI rather than TCP/IP.
Besides, the local network is very slow.

Bob

Netbeui is no good as the router blocks it.

It's likely the DNS and WINS point to the main server to allow you to log on. Check the settings on another PC.

I don`t have any problem to access the main server. The Ps are locally networked on a domain and I believe they are talking o each other through NETBEUI rther than TCP/IP.

Bob

I am unfamiliar with netbeui, but have you tried looking for any IP configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back