Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network with Windows XP Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimbys

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
ES
Hi! I tried mount a network with Win ME and Win XP Home. I created the disk of assistent of XP, and installed it at ME. I have the same work group on two computers, and the same user.
My network is formed by a cable-modem that is connected to a hub where are connected my two computers. Intertnet works fine on my two PCs, but when I want to view my nearly pcs (my network-group) it only show itself (on the two computers).

Please sorry for my very poor english, and thanks you!

Have you actually created any shares on the 2 machines? (ie, shared drive(s), folder(s) or printers).

Yes, I have my documents on Windows XP and the hard drive (this caused a advertetion) on Windows ME.

Thanks you. The problem continue.

One step you took which seems to have caused problems for a number of people is 'I created the disk of assistent of XP, and installed it at ME'. You don't need to do this - as long as ME machine is set to pick up an IP address automatically, all should be well. So, one suggestion is to remove and reinstall networking on ME (eg, just remove the network card in device manager and reboot). When it reinstalls, it should set TCP/IP to automatic, you can specify correct workgroup again, reinstall file sharing and share the drive.

"My network is formed by a cable-modem that is connected to a hub where are connected my two computers"
Something's wrong here - is it a hub or a router? Does your cable provider give you more than 1 IP address? What are the IP addresses of each machine? Do you have any firewall software running on the computers?

Smah - I think you've got a point. If there are 2 external IP addresses (which there must be if its really a hub with the internet connected to it), I don't think they'll function over the LAN (need a second protocol, like netbeui) - which would explain internet connection working but not file sharing.

Something's wrong here - is it a hub or a router? It's a hub
Does your cable provider give you more than 1 IP address? No only one.
What are the IP addresses of each machine? I can't see now, I think 192.168.1.2 & 3
Do you have any firewall software running on the computers? I disconnect the XP firewall.
Thanks

Wolluf, Thanks you, I'll probe it.

Thanks for your helps. A actualization (about networking with Millenium) of Win XP resolved my problem!

grimbys,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an 'actualization' ?
Thanks
tucsonbetty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back