Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network vs. pcmcia init sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dijital

MIS
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have installed rh9 on a Dell cpx p3 500 mhz with a pcmcia network card. Happily :)o) everything has installed well, and outside of some tweaking for performance, I am quite happy with the out of box performance.

I am having a issue on boot. I've seen a number of posts about it all over, but very few solutions...

The eth0 initialization fails - this is logical as it is at s10, and the pcmcia does not initialize until s24. What that means, other than you cant put the buggy before the horse, I have no idea.

if some one could walk me through the changes needed to correct this oversight, I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer not to have to reinstall the whole OS; I'm hoping to move beyond that style of troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!!!

-Jim Connors-
-True-Blue Linux Convert-

If you restart networking you will be ok, or you can edit the run-levels for pcmcia.

Change pcmcia to start before networking.

1: Remove pcmcia from startup run levels.
chkconfig --del pcmcia

2: Edit the pcmcia start script to run before
network.
vi /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia
change the 24 in the #chkconfig to be 8 (before 10)
3: Re-add pcmcia
chkconfig --add pcmcia

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Lawrence,

Thanks very much for the steps! Thats exactly what I was looking for! It worked like a charm. No more nasty "failed" errors...

Much appreciated!

-JimConnors

As a follow up, I wanted to detail exactly what I had to do to fix this problem, just in case others have the same issue in the future:

1 - Opened Terminal and ran su to gain root access.

2 - with root access I entered (without the quotes):

"/sbin/chkconfig --del pcmcia"
then
"gedit /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia"

I had to try editing the #chkconfig line twice. I should have gone with my first instinct, but when changing the 24 to 8 you need to make sure to change it to 08, otherwise it doesnt seem to want to take affect.

I saved the changes.

then, back in the terminal:

"/sbin/chkconfig --add pcmcia"

halt and restart, and you should be good to go!

Things that other noobs may want to know:

1 - in the starting priority, (RedHat 9's default is listed here. Section 1.2.4 has a detailed list of the init order. ) there can be multiple processes started at the same order point. For example, I placed PCMCIA at 08 instead of 24, while IPCHAINS was already at 08. This may seem like a "duh" to most, but to me it was an "aha...".

2 - I'm not sure why (again, me = noob) but I had to run all my commands with absolute paths from the /. Even ifconfig; /sbin/ifconfig was the only way I could get it to run. At least I'll learn where all the files are! :eek:)

Again, I'd like to thank Lawrence for the help.

-Jim

For the 2 - :

It is because you didn't login as root, but you made su , so the PATH is not root's but the user's that logged
(user's PATH don't include /sbin/)
The PATH is where the binaries are searched if they are not in the local directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back