Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network+ vs. CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macallan18

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
US
I'm going to be taking the A+ this week and wanted to follow up by studying basic networking. Is there much of a difference between these 2 certifications?

Yes. The Network + covers a bit of everything in networking. IE... Bridges, routers, OS's, Protocols. The CCNA is a Cisco Certification more geared tword Cisco devices. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Then it sounds like you'd want both certs, 1 for general knowledge and the other for specifics about what must be the largest installed base of networking equipment.

I passed the A+ and Net+ I am now taking CCNA the Net+
intro to the OSI helped when I started the CCNA.

What book(s) did you use to study for the Net+?

I used sybex book + workbook porvided by techskills.com they use Kestone and netG for the computer based training plus they provide a network enviorment for labs. I also
went to the library and loaded the tests from the all the
books I could find.

good luck Ed A+, Network+

Thanks for the info, I passed both A+ exams yesterday, so it's on to the Network+!

Kick @ss!! Congrats dude. I passed the A+ last month and also now working on the Network+ cert. Anyone know of any job scouts or employers looking for someone Certified in Net & A+?? I NEED WORK! Im a statistic of the 09/11 event. Guess ill just keep taking certs while im unemployed. Hopefully ill get lucky like MR T. and Find work again.

look at brainbuzz.com they have a job search there a good one i think. (helped me:))

would you say that it is very possible to teach yourself the network +, as it is A+, i have about a year 1/2 it job experience including networking, and about 3 years of training including netware 5 and tcp/ip, i dont really want to for out money for a class, so what have you guys foud to be true, thanks

You can definately teach yourself Network+. It takes longer to read books than go to classes, but surely it must be a more thorough understanding?

If youre worried, read Mike Meyers All-In-One book, im not saying its the best book out there, but its a whole lot of fun to read and he has a sense of humour. Ive read Microsoft books and they bore me too tears, but I really enjoyed learning the Net+ content.

yeah im reading mike meyres a+ book now and its great, thanks

But does the Mike Meyers 'All in one' book do the Network part of the A+Network test justice ?
I looked through it, it sure didn't look like it covered very much Network stuff at all. Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

I passed my Net+ exam on May 15th of 2002.

I studied using:

- Free Online Practice Tests
- Net+ for Dummies Review cd (Burned by a colleague)
- Marcraft's Network+ Textbook
- Certification Insider Press Network+ Audio Review
(* BEST CRAM MATERIAL *) 4hours reviews it all!

The test was exactly like the practice tests in the materials above, the Dummies cd had most of the questions dead on in the format that they are asked.

NOTE: Revised objectives are out so make sure you material is up to date, but if you know the previous material you will still do good.

Brian Velkavrh
Sr. Consultant - BPV Webdesigns
Network+ Certified Engineer
bpvlogo.gif

I just pass the CCNA, it wasn't as hard as I expected, but it was still the hardest test I've taken so far. I have A+ Hardware and OS, linus+, Win2kPro and Win2kSvr. I used Boson proctice tests there great, but for the actual router simulator part of the exam, use the funky little router simulator that cisco provides with their academy. You will see the same format on the exam, it just works better.

For Network+ I used Exam Cram 2 Network+ and I found that book to be a good read incase you were wondering and its fairly cheap so why not right, plus you get some free practice tests and 30% off your exam.

Just thought I'd throw in that I used Mike Meyer's AIO Network+ Certification Exam Guide as my main study material and it did an excellent job of covering everything on the exam (I wrote and passed last week - 833/900).

However, I also bought (and read most of) "Upgrading and Repairing Networks" by Que for a deeper understanding of hardware and protocols. Not sure if it helped that much but it makes a great reference book. The content of this book is way beyond Net+.

I couldn't help but notice bpvwedesign's earlier post.

Don't you think it is a little presumptuous to to call yourself a CompTIA Network+ Certified Engineer? I mean we are talking about an entry level certification here. Nothing anywhere near the engineer level of training or certification.

I think you are doing a great disservice to the public by altering the CompTIA logo on your web site. You might want to reread the terms of use that you are bound to when using a CompTIA logo.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CET,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Well I would have to agree with glister on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back