Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Testing ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerpatel

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
Hi

I have a question regarding networking speed, let me start by setup so you can get understanding of what i have.

Brand new Domain.

HP 24 Port GB Switch.
Netgear 40 port 10/100 Switch with 2 GB uplink switch.

All Server and some gb pc's plugged into the HP GB Switch.
Around 30 pc connected to the Netgear Switch (100mb connections)

4 HP Proliant Servers (all servers have 2 nics, with a 2gb connection using TEAMING.

The network has Two Domian Controlers, of which both are DNS Serves too, the pc's receive the following ip details from our DHCP Server.

IP 192.168.0.50
mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.252 Firewall
DNS1 192.168.0.1 DC1
DNS2 192.168.0.2 DC2
Wins 192.168.0.1 DC1

Problem
Some users are complaing the network is slow, opening files, printing etc.

Is there any free software/tests that i can run which will tell me if there are any problems etc / network speeds etc etc.

I have carried out my own various testing and found the network runs sweet with no problems however i need some hard prof if you know what i mean.

Thanks

I personally would have the user come and get me when they say the network is running slow. I would the check their PC and Connection. I have found that it is often not the network but their local PC that is acting slow. One of the things that I do is hard code the link speed at their computer, link negotation causes extra traffic and speed isues (Some times).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back