Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network switch error Cisco 2960

Status
Not open for further replies.

leburg

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
I'm a cameraman. Hook up 2 network cams, 2 pcs to a 2960 Cisco si switch, then the switch goes to a port on the wall. I video HOA board functions for my community, stream them live to net and community cable channel, and record for upload to website.

Ok. Sorry. Thing is, for the 2 years I've been doing this, the cable from the wall to the switch firmed up with a green light, good to go, synched up with the internal network/internet access. But as of last week, now, I'm getting an amber light and no go. Some observations, curious thing, a PC cabled to the same port does synch up(?). And in a different location, building next door, no problem, get a green light.

I have tried different cables, pretty much ruled that out. I intend to try a different port in the same building. Having it work fine in the other building, kinda rules out the switch. I haven't any way to alter the switch config, so that kinda rules out operator era. I'm thinking samethng has changed with the network? I am at a loss.

Any leads that I can follow up on would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance!

amber usually means physical issue.. ie :cable from the wall could be damaged..

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Thanks for the input. I tried different cables. They worked with other devices. Don't have access to a tester. Same cable works in the one building but not the other(?)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back