Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
CZ
Hi all !

I have problems with browse box loading speed under the network. I have Clarion 6 Gold. Can you anyone help me?

I made some tests with the network speed and here is the results:

1. if I have disabled "opplock" on client and server machines - loading speed of browse box with related files is very slow.
2. if I enabled "opplock" on client and server machines - loading speed of browse box with related files is good but only if one user is connected.

Our parameters:
- we are using TPS file format
- browse box loads from file with about 1000 records (filesize is less then 100k !) and has relation to other file with 1000 record too.
- client and server machines are W2K or XP
- I made the test with and without antivirus installed and this not affect the speed
- writing speed (e.g. if I change something and save the file) is excellent

Do you have some tips how to tune up the loading speed?
I feel helpless now.

Thank's for any help !

Regards

Pavel

Do ya tried Changing Browse File to Page Loading???

Has the Browse a Total Field???

Has the Browse linked field from other tables... its linked by an String Key or Numerical Key???

-----
carabez@hotmail.com

Hi Guadalier!

Yes, my browse has a Total Filed and uses Page Loading method. There are 2 tables linked by a Numerical Key.

Table 1 (numerical key)
| |
| --- Table 2
----- Table 3

If found that if I have a form window with "Combo box", the loading is also very slow under the network.

Regards

Pavel

Hi Trip!

Well, as you already know, a Total Field in a browse makes that the "entire" database view being processed in order to "sum" the contents of that field.

What you can do is "Temporally" remove the total field... and test if there is some improvent in network speed...

If the total field is the reason of slow net, try some of these:
1. Make a ROUTINE or FUNCTION (procedure) to replace the total on templates... and called ONLY when it´s requested.
2. Conditional the total to ONLY being calculate when strictly needed.

how many total field is in the browse???
Is there a special filter?
I Assume there is a key Order in the browse... It's a String or Numerical?

-----
carabez@hotmail.com

I removed the "Total Filed" in my browse and the speed is excellent now. I think that it was the main problem of slow browse loading.

Thank you for your help!

Regards

Pavel

Hi Guadalier!

I still have problem with the network speed :eek:(

Loading speed of the browse box, list or combo box is quite good only if one user is running my clarion app.

If two or more users are connected the loading speed is slow and takes about 5sec to load any browse or list box.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank's

Pavel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back