Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network slows down when running Dbase apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBonk

Programmer
Sep 20, 2002
US
Our company has several dbase IV v. 2.0 applications running on a network that consists of an XP server that has the application folders on it, two XP workstations that never use the dbase apps, and seven 98 SE workstations that do run the dbase apps.
Up until the first week of August, this setup ran ok. Then our dbase apps started refusing to open, or if open, would freeze in a record. When this happens, other dbase apps and even other windows apps that access documents or files on the server would also hang up. Rebooting the workstations and the server solved the problem for a few hours or a whole day, (or in one case two days). But then it would happen again the next morning.
The only hardware changes that week were that we traded our Savin printer/copier to a Ricoh printer/copier the previos day (both were connected through our LAN). We had no software changes except the usual Windows and Norton updates. Our hardware supplier came in and checked the lines and replaced the router, but the problem persists. One of the XP workstations was added after the problem began, so I know it isn't that machine.
Can anyone help me?

How large are your Data Tables? MicroSoft has a a 2gig size limitation dBase has to live with. dBase has a record number limit. Do not rememver with the limit is so you'll have to check you manuals/help files. Check it make sure you are not at the limit.

David W. Grewe Dave

The database limits are one billion records and two Gb in size as you stated. Our largest database is 52,460 records long and 8.35 Mb in size.

Have you run a Sniffer program on the network.???
Could be a Network card that is starting to fail.

David W. Grewe Dave

No. I haven't run a sniffer program. Is there any in particular that you recommend?

Have Not had to do that in years, I let the IT staff do it now. Try a Web search and see if there is a free trial version you can Test.

David W. Grewe Dave

You mention the addition / change of a different printer. Is the printer connected directly to any PC or to a hub. Network speed issues are sometimes attributable to a printer connected to a hub.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...but who wants a skinned cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back