Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network setup. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
FI
Is it possible to apply some sort of policy settings on Windows 2000 server to make Win 2000 clients use DHCP server instead of manual IP-configuration. We have several machines on our nework and it would be much easier to confugure the server instead of visiting all client machines.
Jan-Eric Finland

Set it up on the client for DHCP. I'm not sure if you can set up a policy to automatically do this but there are several freeware remote desktop apps that can save you the legwork

Thanks, I only have to do it once... So I think I can walk!
;)

2k pro sets up to use DHCP by default - and you need Admin level access to change this. So, if you've manual IP addresses on 2k Pro machines, somebody (Administrator) must have set them so.

Yes, I'm the admin...
I was just looking for some trick to save time.
Thanks.

Hey GarethT, how about posting something worthwhile instead of just a smart remark (since you are soooo worried about how people post).

There is NO admin in the world that has ever planned everything out perfectly and never had to make a change.

160473, You could have both static and dynamic IPs on your network (if you choose). Going forward you could enable DHCP and set a range of IPs to use DHCP that way any new computer would use DHCP and your older machines would keep the manual IPs.

i was rounding this thread off.

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

I concur with OUCATS - all those letters after your name when added up should spell "helpfull" Gareth....

Look the coment was said saracstically becasue it was clear from the outset that this user had very few machines to walk too and thus was a bit of a pointless post.
but your right-- i shouldnt be being sarcastic- so this is my last ever post.

Thanks for your help, GarethT, arteus, OUCATS, wolluf and AngryChimp.

(We have several hudreds of machines and are switching to dhcp. Thats why I am trying to save some time...)

OK in that case:

2 possibilities.

1) create an MIS using disco from win2k server cd of you setting dhcp up on a client and run on workstations-- ive not tested this one and ive got reservations on it working-after ive been checking the registry key that controls dhcp.
2) this article is for 95/98- not tried it on 2k or xp- but this should possibly lead you in the right direction.
hope this helps

I meant MSI btw-- typo- cmon its 9am here...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back