Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Segmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidrp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
US
Hello Network Gurus...
I have a pretty simple problem and I was hoping someof you had a solution for it..

We have a Small Office network with around 30-40 PCs in a simple workgroup environment and a few wireless access points. There are no Servers per say, all we have are clients with different roles. We have expanded and need to accomodate more machines....

We have Broadband router connected to various switches. Many desktops and an email server connected to switches.
We do not want to change a lot of things around, heres what we wish to do...
We need to add more IPs, so We bought a new DLink Router and a few switches. We also want to set up a small Segment with a proxy server, so that the PCs in that segment can have a controlled access to Internet. How do we go about it? I need to have some connection ideas and setup instructions if possible.

Any help, tips or details will be really appriciated.
Heres an illustration for ease of understanding..
Thanks everyone

Blimey, i (and many others i suspect) would have put in a server after the number of PCs climbed above 10-15 to be honest.

If on a budget, i reckon you should go for a minimum of 2 Win2k3 servers, one as an Active Directory Domain Controller with DHCP (for automatic IP address leasing to workstations) DNS, e.t.c.

The other as a Proxy, e.t.c

a third would be ideal as a file server for centralised storage, but the 1st 2 could do it, but they'd need to be V high spec with large disks.

The instructions for just setting these up warrent a whole website on thier own, but you'd should find plenty around here and on google on what to do.

just going for 2 Win2k3 servers alone will reduce the administrative burden of a 30-40 pc workgroup a 100x times over.

you wouldn't needs to manage switches to segment off a Proxy for certian pcs to access the net, or maintain local user lists, and on and on, the list is endless.

Active Directory and ISA (MS Proxy) will do all this a treat.

- What is?

- MS Deployment guides

Gurner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back