Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilwarjunky

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2004
US
We are a small company running a windows shop with 7 servers. We are not a 24/7 shop. Each morning we restart our server to clear the cash and memeory buffers before the general staff comes into work. We are in the middle of add an other server to our system. What are the downsides to restarting the servers every morning. We have to different consultants with conflicting points of view. One says if you can it is a good thing, you are starting out with a clean slate each and every morning. The other says we may cause service errors. We have been restarting are server for 4 years with no ill effects. Can you shine some more light on this subject ?

It's a very good idea. I have a customer who never turns off their Windows server, and I am regularly called in to fix problems which are easily fixed by simply rebooting the server.

The reason most people do not reboot their server is because their backup run in the middle of the night in order not to bog down the resources during the office work hours.

If your backup is not used in such a fashion and you have no email or any service that needs to be on 24/7, then there is no good or bad, it's is simply up to you.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Restarting your servers is a good idea, but everyday is a bit much. I reboot my servers about once a month, or whenever an update calls for it. Servers are made for 24/7 usage, so most companies do not/could not shut them down everyday. Its up to you, but I would personally just set aside a designated time to reboot. Once a week if you must, but every day is not needed. As far as the consultant saying that service errors can occur, they are right. But the errors are not occuring because of the reboot, there is generally something else causing the problem, but it becomes apparent upon the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back