Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network question. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrost

Technical User
Oct 4, 2004
CA
I have a quick question about a network. Right now in my house I have three computers hooked up to a hub. In the hub there are our three computers along with the connection to DSL line. Two of the computers have internet access while the third computer is used for storage. The question I have is can that third computer get infected with a virus if its sole purpose is to be used for storage?

It could if you mistakenly put one there. Also with DSL I would advise you to buy a firwall program so no one can easily hack into your network.Viruses dont live on the internet and download themselves to any computer. You have to download it or open it from an email attachment. So if you are running An Anti-Virus program (hopefully on all 3 computers) And you keep the virus defanitions up to date, you should be fine.

yea, butchrecon is right, I get hacks ALL the time, without security you could easily get the server and any other comp on the network hacked.

Well the two computers with internet access do have McAfee Virus protection along with ZoneAlarm firewall. Both seem to work well as I have noticed that Norton wasnt cutting it. I was using both Norton Anti-virus and Norton Personal Firewall and both had problems. My computer was having problems and I scanned with Norton and noticed nothing..then I installed McAfee and found a Backdoor Virus. I didnt know how it could of got in there. Then I uninstalled Norton Firewall and installed Zone Alarm and it was amazing at how many times two uniqiue IP's were trying to get into my computer. Im sure that one of them were the planters of the virus. I think I am done with Norton all together.

As far as the Network question goes, the reason I ask is because for some reason when Im trying to transfer data from the storage computer to mine it re-starts my computer all the time. No indication lights go off or anything, it truly is weird.

We have a WAN consisting of 3 LANs at work, with about 300 computers in total. We had the FunLove virus, and we had the nastiest time getting that thing out of our system. We ended up totally shutting down all our switches and disconnecting everyone because this virus plays on one computer for a while, looks across the network for shared files, and goes over there and plays with that system for a while. We ended up having about 100 machines infected in 2 different LANs, including 2 servers. So my answer to this question would be yes, if this virus got on one of your machines, and saw this "storage" machine over here with shared folders, its gonna go and see what it can do on this other machine. Also, be sure and keep those virus dat files updated, because thats how ours got in, an outdated virus scanner.

The Virus could have been on the machine with no Antivirus installed. As for the back door virus, Did you first uninstall the AntiViurs (Norton) then Install Mcafee? Sounds as if someone is really trying to gain access to your system. If they have before then they will eventually do it again (If they are patient enough). I was ever a fan of nortons Firewall, Always too many updates. Been impressed with thier antivirus products though. Check the storage system for viruses. Transfer data from the storage system to yours in smaller packets (or files sizes). Dont drag over a ton of stuff, try with a little and work your way up. If this works and your system only reboots with the large files then it could be problem with the NIC.

I finally registered my name as walks instead of Phrost. No matter what file size that I decide to transfer my computer seems to reboot. THe problem is that I hadnt had a problem until this time. And I found the virus located in my Windows System directory. What happened was the other computer on our network was having serious probelms accessing the network so he installed a different firewall and immdiatly started blocking out these people (I think). I found out and then uninstalled Norton Firewall to Zone Alarm. I also uninstalled Norton and then installed mcAfee and soon found that virus. Im pretty confident that something is messed in my computer, Im just not sure what. I tried scanning the storage computer and then my comp rebooted once again. Im not sure what else to do? Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanx again.

What version of Backdoor did you find? Most can crash the computer and some change system files, so I'm afraid it looks like you still have it.

Well Im sure the virus I found was the BackDoor-G2.svr . Im pretty sure anywayz. I thought my virus cleaner cleaned it but it doesnt appear so, if both the two internet computers were cleaned could the hackers still access the storage computer?

Because of the way this virus works, you will run the server program every time you run an exe file if it is not already running. You will have to clean out the registry as well. If you go to the virus information on the McAfee site and search for the virus name using the "containing" option, you will get thorough instructions.

If Zone Alarm is properly configured to block the outgoing server program as well as incoming then it should not be possible for external control.

This may be a right pain, but it can be beaten, good luck!

I went to the homepage and found the virus help procedure however when I went into the registry the command lines were not the same. The reason I still think its a virus is this. You said that as soon as I execute an .exe file the virus is running. Well I reinstalled windows and didnt execute and exe's and transfering from the third network computer wasnt a problem. Then I ran a chat program called Mirc and boom, the computer rebooted.

Im not sure what I can do to clean the virus off of my computer if I already erased the program I found it in. The program I found it in was in a "ghyweu.exe" and I deleted it when McAfee Virus cleaner came across it. Im running Windows 98 currently. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what to do or where I could find a place to uninstall this virus.

OK I was doing some research and think I have found the virus. Now Im not sure if this is true or not but I was reading on a website about the backdoor.gdoor virus and how "kernel32.exe" gets infected. This website claimed that once infected kernel32.exe would disappear from my list of active tasks. SO I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and never found kernel in my list of active tasks. Now Im not sure if I did things right but if I did would someone be interested in telling me how to clean this virus?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Walks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back