Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Profile of Arcserve 2000? Application Profile? Throughput 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolness

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
US
Hello all, I fear that I am looking for the impossible. I am a network engineer trying to troubleshoot a transient throughput issue with a few of our Arcserve backup servers.

It seems like for a few weeks at a time everything will run well -- backups clocking 300-400 MB -- and then something happens and the speed drops to 50 MB without any warning.

The servers are IBM, the NICs are all forced to 100/Full and are fully capable of FUll duplex-- the Cisco 6509 Switch Gear is set to correspond 100/Full.

What I need to understand is something more about the network behavior of this application.

1.) How does arcserve communicate to the target server to initiate a backup?

2.) What network port, protocol, etc is used to communicate in a TCP/IP Windows NT/2000 environment?

3.) Does WINS play a role in the Arcserve agent resolving the IP address of the Arcserve server for returning requested data?

We use Arcserve 2000 and Brightstore. The various client agents are deployed to the target servers. Sadly I do not know full SP levels as the server gents handle that end.

We have a 32 Gbps backplane that is barely touched and microswitched 100/Full connections or gigabit connections all around -- so I have a hard time thinking the throughput is a network issue but want to be able to track down the root cause.

Thanks in advance for any help you can render.

HI,

To answer your questions

ARcserve uses the basic TCP\IP transmission to transfer Data over the wire...

Arcserves uses both TCP and UDP ports

Discovery Service : 41523 & 41524

NT Agent : 6050 (TCP)

Exchange Agent : 6070 (TCP)

You might wanna try changing the TCP Window size on your ARCserve server ... this does improve the throughput...

Refer MS Q Doc : Q120642

Hope this helps

Cheers
Speshalyst
So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

These slowdowns can also occur if there is not enough RAM for buffering (typical in SQL and Exchange servers). ARCserve, etc. will start to swap, killing performance. I've seen jobs that typically run at 450MB/s go to 25MB/s because the server ran out of memory.

Also look at setting the amount of memory ARCserve will use with SHAREMEM.EXE.

I'm experiencing the same problems with varying bandwodth. I've not seen a massive consumption of RAM. I'm not using an SQL database. I've tried the shremem ustility but it keep telling me that the Tape Engine is Not Started even though it is. Any ideas?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back