Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdance

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
SE
I have three computers in a workgroup. One with windows 2000 Server and two with windows 2000. I often have network problems. The W2000 server is always up the other connect to the workgroup occasionally. I often looses the connection and the computers can't connect to each other. Not simultaneously but from one computer to another. It's like the computer enters a "sleep" mode in the network. After trying to connect for some minutes the connection starts again. I can always connect to the IP with for example PCANYWHERE. It the internal network that goes to sleep.

Any suggestions?

I have seen on some network cards on 2k that have sleep mode for the nic enabled. Maybe this is what is happening. Goto network properties of your lan, goto properties of your nic and see if it is turned on. A+ MCP
deans@bellsouth.net

As long as you can ping the computers IP address that you suspect is "sleeping" then its not bad cards or cards that go to "sleep". I've had this problem for quite a while that some computers dont show up in network neighborhood. It seems to be random. I would install NetBEUI protocol on all of the computers, especially if you only have 3. That worked for me.

Is this an AD domain? If so it sounds to me like you need to check your DNS configuration. Make sure the client machines have the address of the server as their DNS primary.
If it's just a member server in workgroup mode, perhaps you should install WINS or use an lmhosts file for name resolution.
I bet an lmhosts file would straighten this right up.

This sounds like a browsing problem, not a hardware problem so as others have suggested, DNS, wins, lmhost file, or netbeui will solve your issues. DZ

Thank you! Installing NetBEUI in my workgroup solved my problem.

// Henrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back