Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddsalcedo

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
US
I used to run my Comcast internet through a hub, which worked fine. I recently changed to a router instead and all PCs run great but one, which runs sloer than dial-up. This machine ran fine before. I have reset everything a bunch of times, and even went and got a new network adapter for it.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

That's an interesting issue you have there...slow network connectivity. *thinks* What I would do as basic troubleshooting steps is, uninstall everything. The NIC in the device manager, remove the TCP/IP protocol bound to it. With everything uninstalled, reboot the machine and allow it to find the NIC itself. Once it is found, go ahead and re-install TCP/IP to the NIC. This will ensure that everything is fresh.

If your connection is still slower then what it was originally, the only thing I can think of is something on the computer. Watch the stat's for packets coming in and going out as your trying to browse the internet with it. See if it's sending and recieving at a stable increase. Also make sure you don't have any spyware that may be using your network rescources. GAIN and other's are known to do that.

That's what I would do.

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

If you have a firewall, check the settings.

I had a similar problem a few weeks back and it was down to settings in Zone Alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back