Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network problem with windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

teckid

Technical User
Mar 17, 2003
CA
Hi i'm having a problem adding a user to the workgroup.
First, there is 3 computers having cable internet connection.
The modem is plugged into a linksys router and the router is plugged into the uplink of a dlink 8 port switch.
Internet is shared between these 3 computers without any problem
The wokgroup name is House and computer 1 and 2 can see the 3 computers.
computer 1 as a printer shared into the workgroup.
Computer 3 can't see the 2 other computers.
And when from computer 1 or 2 you try to click on the computer 3 icon, it says a message like... This server is unnacessible...
computer1 runs windows 95
computer 2 runs windows xp Home edition
computer 3 runs windows 98 SE

Please help me find some solutions for my ploblem
Thank you !!

"Computer 3 can't see the 2 other computers.
And when from computer 1 or 2 you try to click on the computer 3 icon, it says a message like... This server is unnacessible..."

so computer 3 is on it's own basically - can't see, can't be seen.

1 - check the cables - do you have link lights on the NIC & hub?
2 - check the IP configuration - same subnet? no IP clash?
3 - ping test (dos command "ping 192.168.0.1") - try and ping all IP no's from computer 3, try and ping computer 3's IP from computer 2.
4 - check for DHCP clash - any DHCP servers?
5 - check firewall status: remember XP has built in firewall; you may have to put the Win98's IP into the XP's trusted zone.

that's probably a fairly good place to start! <marc>[ul]help us help![li]please provide feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back