Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network problem with direct pc ?????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatback94

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
ive been trying to fix this for a few days. i have 3 machines, 2 run win2000 pro the other windows xp. the host and the xp machine have no problems with ics. as soon as the 3rd machine is on the network everything goes haywire. ive checked all the settings everything is right but # 3 is not responding to anything i do. from #3 i can ping the host with ease. host cannot ping # 3 request timed is all i get. in my network places sometimes # 3 is there sometimes it goes on vacation. i have 2 nics in host which are correct because #2 can go on the net. i even ran auto setup 3 times from directpc and nothing works.can someone give me some insight as to whats wrong? thanks in advance.

Hey!

Have you tried checking all the system's IPAs using IPCONFIG? Make sure there are no duplicates and that all are set to use DHCP.

Also, on each machine, make sure that DNS is set to be getting information from an Internet DNS server not from the default (the ICS computer).

Hope this helps!

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back