Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network problem. Can't see the Network. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nob1

Technical User
Mar 5, 2005
GB
I have a small home network. My office PC is connected to a Netgear router (RP614V2), the input of which goes to my cable STB which provides me with broadband internet. The router is also connected to a Netgear Wireless Access Point which provides internet access for my wifes PC and a laptop which is only occasionally in use. My problem is I cannot get any of the machines to work together as a network. I have enabled sharing on all machines including the printer which is USB'd to the office machine. All machines are running XP home. I have run all the network wizards - still no luck. Any ideas would be most welcome.

nob1,

check & record info on each machine: ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway. in a dos box run; ipconfig

Mine:
ip 192.168.0.102
subnet 255.255.255.0
def gate 192.168.0.1

on all pc's the ip should be identical except the last set of #'s, sub should be equal, and default gateway needs to be the same.

As you are using a Router & WAP, you/they might both be set to provide DCHP services so that wired on one gate wireless on another with resulting IP's not part of the same Internal network.

If you find this to be setting to differing internal ip strings, check the router & WAP docs & configs and set the WAP to get it's IP from the router or set as static.

Also insure that the workgroup name is identical for all pc's and that 'wins' is enaled for all pc's.

Try this and post back

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Cheers rvnguy. ipconfig is as you say. Not sure what you mean about internal network. Also can't see how to change config on the WAP. Workgroup names are identical and 'wins' is enabled. I'm sure I loaded some software for the WAP but can't find it.

I've just checked through the 4 HDDs on the office machine and there is no NETGEAR SW anywhere so I'm not sure whether I loaded it on this machine which I only built recently. I must have loaded it on my old machine and thought it was this one. I'm getting too old for this - I think.

nob1,

I don't use netgear, but most are similar. Normally you do not need to have netgear software installed on the pc to use a router or WAP. You do need sw for the wireless appliance installed in the pc.
Check the manual for the WAP, there will be a web based config application. Also determine how to enter the router config application (smae method different address). Outside chance that router & WAP use the same IP. If So, disconnect the WAP and config the router, then disconnect the WAP and config it. reconnect all back. When configuring the router set an address for the WAP as static and use this address for the WAP. i.e. set 192.168.0.1 as router, 192.168.0.2 as WAP. When configuring the WAP insure that you set it to be 192.168.0.2.

i.e. in your browser you will enter in the address (URL) line or whatever te correct access to the WAP is. With the manual, check and correctly config the WAP not to be a DHCP provider.
Not sure what you mean about internal network
The IP adresses you are using are "private", meaning that they are not broadcast over the www, or they are "internal" to your network. If they are all of the same sequence with only the last digits being different, then all pc's are on the same "internal" network.

Once you have determined that the above is correct and there is no conflict.

On each pc you can try (do not reboot the pc's while doing this) gettingg each IP for the pc. at a cmd line try "ping" & IP address of another PC. If reported as successful. try pinging by pc name. Both of these should work, continue this for each PC in round robin fashion.

If no joy or for insurance, in control panel net connections, select to repair connection. Also at cnd line you can run ipconfig /flushdns This will reset the DNS cache for each PC.

Report back with results.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I'm having trouble getting to the settings on my router and WAP. When I go to settings, the web is accessed and 'No page found' comes up. I do appreciate your help rvnguy but now Xmas is interfering and I'll have to leave till after. Happy Xmas to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back