Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network privacy concerns...aka...Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms756485

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
KR
Hi. I travel a lot and would like to secure my laptop's online activities - is there an inexpensive way to tunnel through local security monitoring systems?

For example. I'm staying in a youth hostel that offers free internel cable connection - but everyone goes through a central computer that's locked up in the office - what I want to do is to keep my privacy from any tracking or monitoring software stored on that computer in the office.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp you can give me.

Marc

There is a way to keep an entity from monitoring your activity on his network: encrypt everything leaving your computer.

The "gotcha" in this method is that the server on the other end of your communication must be able to decrypt your packets, and other than VPN gateways, most servers are not equipped to do this. Unless you know of a VPN gateway somewher that would allow you to encrypt everything to it the forward your packets out to the internet, there's not much you can do.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

If its not your network, you should at least expect to be monitored - what are you afraid of?

If network admins think there is something wrong they can monitor you screen or ban your account.

Steve.

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I'm not afraid of anything...I just prefer my business to stay my business. Nothing illegal or scandelous going on.

Thanks again.

Marc

Fair enough, and I don't want to get in an argument, but it the same as taking a mobile call in a pub. If its private, do it somewhere privately - like your network.
Its not your network, and the admins have a right to protect it using monitoring for the good of the network.

There was a good article I read recently, I'll see if I can dig it out, but if I saw someone on my networking do everything encrypted and via annon proxy I would kill the user process, disable the account and let him explain why he is being so secretive.

Steve.

Another very important issue is that since Marc cannot verify the integrity of the machines he is connecting through, he cannot know if he can trust the machines to keep the information they collect to themselves. You normally assume that your provider will not divulge your information without a good reason, but if the service provider has been compromised by a "cracker" (AKA "malicious hacker") information the user has every right to assume will be kept private may not be. He need not be doing anything shady, just private.

A better analogy than taking a mobil call in a pub is using a phone in the office of the pub. You may not object to having the owner stand by while you use the phone to make sure you are not misusing it, but you would still want to close the door so that others in the pub couldn't hear what you are saying.

I admit that doing everything by anon proxy would look suspicious, but unless the sysadmin is inspecting and analyzing the contents of all your packets (which few public providers do) it's unlikely anyone would even know you were encrypting.

I'm with sleipnir on this one. If it is essential that you have some degree of privacy in your communications, you need to either establish a secure connection such that you can encrypt on your end and have the other end decrypt or go throught a VPN gateway.

In general though, you may just have to suck it up and trade some lack of privacy for convenience - kind of like those public showers at the hostel... :-D

Yeah, a VPN or something would be appropiate, and would normally be allowed on most networks - but the word is:

If your use their network, its their rules.

Remember, its not your network; and according to EU law, they have a right to monitor everything you do on their network. Beware.

Steve.

Guys, thank you very much. I appreciate all of your replies and your broad perspectives on privacy. I agree with FUGACITY in that, yes, I don't mind if the pub owner watches so I don't smash his phone but what I'm saying through the phone could be any number of personal issues. And I also agree with STEVEHEWITT in that it's their network - not mine.

I will look into a VPN network - simply because I don't like eaves dropping. It's that simply.

With terrorism being such a large concern for everyone I understand and respect both views. I just want to be as anonymous in a world that is quickly irredicating it.

Best regards and thanks again.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back