Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberlynn

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
CA
I have two networked printer questions:

1) I have a small office, with all 4 computers on a workgroup. Each PC/laptop is physically connected to a printer, and they are all shared so that others may use these printers. Each shared printer is installed on the other PCs/laptops. Under "Printers" - these all show up as they should, but so does each one again, as "auto". Is there someway to prevent this, or remove them? It's messy, and confuses people as to which printer to choose.

2) One of the PCs is running Windows 7, the rest XP. The Windows 7 PC is connected to a Samsung SCX4100 multi-function printer. It works fine from this connected PC. I've added this printer to the other PCs via 'add printer - networked'. It works okay at first. The next time I try to use the printer it doesn't work. If I right click it, and go to properties, it says 'driver not installed yet' - I put the disk in, install drivers, it works once - then the next time - the exact same things happens.

Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Amber

Some printers require you to not use the Add Printer wizard, but to run the printer installation software on the PC that you want to see the printer from, and let the install program find the printer across the network.
On one of the PC's with the duplicate remote printer appearances try uninstalling both copies of the driver for a remote printer, and then run the install software locally, and see if you can complete the install without having a duplicate appear. If that works, repeat on the others with the duplicates.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back