Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

inq1

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
I am having a problem setting up printers. I have several set up that are working, but some that do not. They are all HPLaserJet, I add the IP address to /etc/hosts, I go to scoadmin and add the printers. Do an lpstat -t and all looks well. Send a job to the printer and they just sit in the queue. I had the IT people remove the firewall to see if that was the problem, but still they do not print. Am I missing a step? I am running SCO 5.0.6 Thanks in advance for any help.

How did you add this printers with scoadmin ?
HPNP, remote or local ?

Hope This Help
PH.

Hi,

Try with 'rlpconf' then go to /etc and edit 'printcap'
In the printcap file, check for your printer inscription and check the 'rp' entry in it. Change the 'rp' destination for 'raw'

ex:
HP: :lp=:rm=HP:rp=raw:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/HP:mx#0:

bye

I use HPNP in sco admin as they are network printers.
so there is nothing in the printcap file.

So, have you tried the options 4 and 5, before the 6 ?

Hope This Help
PH.

No I did not, didn't know I had to each time. Is that the problem?

I did 4 and 5. It does ping, but it fails the test in number 5. So what am I missing or what can I do? Thanks

If you take my method, dont forget to change the following parameters.
In 'scoadmin' go to the printer screen.

In 'option' > 'default' enable:
(X) Accept New Remote Unix Jobs

and in

'System'>'Print Services' enable:
(X) Local Print Service Enabled
(X) Remote Unix Print Services Enabled

bye

How is the printer connected on the network ?
Embedded JetDirect card or extern print serserver ?
What about a autotest or status sheet ?

Hope This Help
PH.

PHV-- most of the printers I am trying to get going have internal jet direct cars, 1 has an external print server. They are printers that are in different domains, the unix box is just a member of the network, not the server. There is a firewall to the unix box but it is supposedly configured for printers on these particular IP address's.
I cannot get the test page to work, either from scoadmin or the command prompt. But it is in the print queue.

kangaroojack--I have not tried your method. Will it work for these kind of printers? I got the impression that it was for direct connect printers, not networked. If it is for netwok connected printers I will give it a shot.
Thanks

I meant the status or autotest page from the printer's control panel

Hope This Help
PH.

Hi inq1,

I've used this method many time for networked printer.

Almost all printer i've configured was from HP.( Laserjet with JetDirect module in )

We prefer to sell this kind of product ( hp ) for the compatibility with our applications.

;-) take a little time to try

Ps: If you want to try my method, proceed with this order:
step1: read my post from Aug 10, 2003 ( scoadmin )
step2: read my post from Aug 8, 2003 ( rlpconf )

Good luck.

PHV-- I called the department and they ran a status page and things seem fine on their end. I removed the printer in scoadmin and I am trying the rlpconf, but would still like to know why these do not work.

kangaroojack-- I set this printer up using your instructions.
Appearantly the system needs to reboot before it take effect, right? I will not know until tomorrow as it will shutdown this evening. It does not appear in lpstat, will it tomorrow? Is there any way to get around the need for shutdown? I sent 2 jobs but cannot see anything and no one has called me to say it printed.
Thanks

On the status page take a look at which protocol is enable.
For HPNP it should be port 9100.
Try this:
Code:
telnet PrinterIPaddress 9100
If you get connected, hpnp should work.
Otherwise the JetDirect seems to be strangely configured.
NB: For kangaroojack's solution, the LPR/LPD protocol must be enable (port 515).
You can test this so: telnet PrinterIPaddress 515

Hope This Help
PH.

The system has to reboot tonight before I can see if the rlpconf method is going to work.
In the meantime when I do number 5 for another printer I am having trouble here is the message I get:
Add "system name".uucp.com to the printers access list before continuing.
What is up with that?

Hi,

1) set printer parameters in 'scoadmin' ( posted Aug 10, 2003 )
2) add a entry for the printer in /etc/hosts
ex: 192.168.0.11 hplj1
3) type 'rlpconf' add your printer name ex: laserjet
then 'r' then enter the the name of the remote host that laserjet is attached to: hplj1
You have now to give answers...y if it's correct, y if it's your default printer then y and y...
4) go to /etc amd edit printcap ( posted Aug 8, 2003 )
! You dont have to reboot your SCO

Same way for a print server, but the remote port can be, pr1, pr3 or pr3 etc....

;-) good luck, bye

ps: I never seen before your 'Add "system name".uucp.com to the printers access list before continuing. '

In fact, for hpnp, SNMP must also be enable.

Hope This Help
PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back