Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph128

Technical User
Feb 9, 2007
US
Most of the printers in the building are networked and every once in a while we run into a problem when we print. It squashes all of the text onto one side of the page. Its like it is just piling the text on top of itself. Any suggestions, ideas. It only happens with the networked printers. It does not happen when you print to a printer that is physically attached to someone's computer.

We have already checked the drivers on the printers. Apparently this has been happening for some time because my predecessor ran into the same problem.

What brand are the printers and what OS are you operating?

The printers are HP 2100 and the computers are all running XP Pro. The server is running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Are you able to print a clean test page from the options menu of the printer? If so then best option is to reset back to factory defaults.

The printer is at factory defaults. It only messes up once in a while. The test page comes out clean.

Hi

Also depending on what your printing needs are i have used the laserjet III driver built in to win xp and that has corrected issues, that driver works with almost any hp laserjet printer for basic printing functions.

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor. I will give that a shot.

Here's an idea, i have had a similar issue and found it was not the printer, but the normal.dot template in MS word (are you using Word?). All i had to do was delete mnormal.dot and the next time word starts, it recreates it for you. I have this issue with several users (office 2003) and this has resloved it everytime.

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back