Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmosier

Technical User
Aug 5, 2001
US
I can locate printer drivers on network but when installing it stops at 45% and error message reads "setup cannot find specified network path. I am running w98se.

Are you running on a Netware network ?
Are you using HP printers ?

If so, update your netware client.
If not, what network are you running on ?
And what printers are you trying to install ?
Does it happen if you install a local printer ?
Does it happen if you install a Generic / Text printer driver ?

HTH

Pete...

LAN. I have olny one computer hooked to another by a Belkin router and its software. Canon is the printer.

Being a Peer to Peer network, I'd suggest that the printer drivers on the print server are at fault.

Pete...

On a Peer-to-Peer network, print drivers must be installed on each machine. Can't be installed from one PC to the other. Use the original driver installation disc. There's always a better way...

I have a laser printer physically-attached on 1 computer's LPT1 and an inkjet physically-attached on another computer's LPT1. They are both shared on the network.

In Add Printer on the computers without a physically-attached printer, selecting a Network printer allows that computer to go to the computer with a printer and bring in the appropriate drivers, doesn't need the install disk/s for that came with the printer/s.

PeteH2

If that were true, wouldn't the printer on server fail to operate also? And I'll try the other suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Not necessarily. As TVIMAN rightly suggests, each PC has the drivers locally installed and, in your case, each PC is acting as a print server, serving the printer to the network. Even in a non-peer LAN some sort of driver must exist on the local PC for the application software to define it's page settings etc.

HTH

Pete...

mmosier,
Question: What OS is the "server" running?

I'm guessing the server has a different OS than the one you're running. If so, it might be trying to share the wrong driver, which might explain the error message you were receiving.

"setup cannot find specified network path"

For example, Windows 2000 has a system path beginning with C:\WINNT, while Win98 has C:\WINDOWS. The driver might be looking for WINNT and not WINDOWS. Like Pete was saying, a copy of the shared driver is installed locally on your pc (Start->Settings->Printers). You won't see it until you can get the setup to complete. You might have to get the Win9x drivers shared from the server.

Read the 2nd set of steps here to learn how:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Both computers have W98se.

I cannot install drivers locally because the computer cannot find printer because of path.

What is the path that you specified? Did you use UNC pathing (ex. \\server\printer1)??

If you did use UNC pathing, then test it out. Go to Start->Run and type the path there. After hitting OK, it should pull up the properties for the printer... ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

I go to network neighborhood, find computer where printer is loacted, right click on computer, install. computer starts installing files then at 6%, stops and I get "set up could not find specified path". So I went to capture printer port, LPT1,"CANON already installed, would you like to install canon instead?" YES1 then I get 45% installed then same error. Details "path no longer exist, error #37".

UNC pathing? Thanks for help but this is new to me.

OK, take this for example:

There is a printer called Print1 being shared by another computer called PC1.

The UNC path to this printer would then be \\PC1\Print1
- It is always in the following format:
\\Hostname\ShareName

Here is a website that shows you one way of how to install a network printer locally in Win98:

* the only catch is in Step 5, you need to have the Canon driver handy (an .INF file)

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Where it stands...
I installed local printer, Installed network printer, Deleted local printer on server. result, computer could not find local printer anymore and client(if I am using term correctly, slave, secondary or where the printer is connected) computer anymore. I am peer to peer. no computer is really the server. Do I need to somehow force drivers on other computers in the network. Where is Status Monitor.

Deleted local printer on server

Why did you do that? You want to install the local printer, then install the network printer "keeping the existing driver". After the network printer is in your printers folder, then delete the local printer that you started with. At no point should you touch or delete the printer that's installed on the server (the other pc on the P2P network).

Basically, you're only working on the pc that doesn't have the printer attached. The other pc that does, should be left alone during the entire process. There has to be a printer installed on that one so that it is shared.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you said??

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

I guess I did misunderstand.

The reason I strayed to the computer with the printer attached was that the other computer does not see printer. If I try to install any drivers I get errors to that fact.

Thanks

You don't need to install print drivers on each machine in a peer to peer or client/server network. All you have to do is locate the printer on the print server (the machine where the printer drivers are and/or where the printer is physically attatched. Share the printer from the print server, connect through the network to that machine and double click on the printer. That will install a shortcut to the other computer.

If the remote machine is not seeing the printer then I would guess your TCP/IP protocol stack needs to be rebuilt. Go to start/run and type in ipconfig. In the window that comes up click on release all and reboot. Do this on both machines as you do not know which TCP/IP stack is corrupt.

Fixed! When installing printer drivers I get to 45%, Then an option to SKIP FILE pops up. I chose this, and drivers load. Everything seems to work fine. Thank All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back