Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printer won't install..

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleford

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi Guys, I've searched & found a number of posts with this type of problem but have not come across a definative answer.

I have installed an HP5 directly, via LPT1, on a W2k-server, shared the printer and it is functioning
correctly.

I need to logon to my W2k-clients as local admin to install this printer so that it will be available to users. But when I try to install the printer it does not show-up in browse for printer and if I specify the UNC path the process hangs - if I attempt this a number of times it eventually installs.. but then Denies Access.

I can install the printer if I logon with an account with network admin credentials but we are using roaming profiles and when the next user logs-on there is no printer installed for them, (I do not want printers installed to roaming profiles as the users move around the campus and at different times need different printers set as the default).

The usual way I install printers so that the nearest physical device is set as default - is to install them as the local administrator - then when a user logs-on that printer appears as the default.

This procedure usually works perfectly - only on this setup I am being denied access to the printer.

I have relaxed all security on the printer permissions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Coleford

If you go to My Network Places and click on entire network, then find your server and click on that, does it ask you to log in? If it does, log in as administrator with the server password. Then try to install the printer on the local machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back