Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printer resfuses to be added

Status
Not open for further replies.

slycer

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
I have a HP Laserjet 4600dn printer, running Win2K that I have shared out to my users. The problem is that when the users of certain CPU's, running WINNT are unable to connect to the shared printers. I keep getting the following error:

"the server that the local printer is attached to does not have the correct drivers, please press OK to install the local drivers"

At first I thought that the fact that the clients were WINNT had something to do with it, but there are several machines running WINNT that can access the printer just fine. I looked at the computers in question but didn't find anything wrong with them. Has anyone else experienced this, and what can I do to resolve this?

I am assuming that you are running Win2K Professional, and not Windows 2000 Server, correct? All the error message means is that the machine that you are sharing the printer on does not have the correct WINNT 4.0 drivers for the machines attempting to connect.
Normallly, when you set up a printer on a printer server, like Windows 2000 Server, for instance, you are given the option of installing additional drivers for clients with "other" operation systems, i.e. Windows NT, Win95/98 etc. I do not think that Windows 2000 Pro will let you install a print server function; Micro$oft wants you to buy a server product for that.
Your best option is to create a network share with the different version(s) of drivers needed, and point the users to that share when then attempting to setup the printer. Or, you can run around and install all the drivers locally...:(

Please understand that this setup that you have described is not optimal; have you considered how much your workstation might be impacted when several users are running print jobs thru your machine?
If that printer has a JetDirect card, consider setting up a connection with a standard TCP/IP port, and cable the printer to your switch instead.

Hope this helps!

You can supply alternative drivers from the sharing tab of printer properties on the machine printer is connected to. It will ask for 2000 server CD or browse to drivers you need (this doesn't always work without the 2000 server CD).

Also, sometimes installing the printer as a local printer on the NT machine concerned (you can ususally do this with no printer attached), then installing the network printer will work (as drivers are then in place).

Well that seems to make sense, but if I tell my user that, then he is going to come back with,if thats the case, then why can some of my WINNT machines connect without any problems?

slycer: They may already have had the drivers for this printer installed. Did you press OK?

"Can't be anything wrong with MY computer because everyone elses computer's working"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back