Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printer problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredNoB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have a HP4100n set up as a network printer on W2K server and want to allocate it to a group of XP clients. I have installed and printed from a client machine but it requires me to change the print preferences from letter to A4 size paper before printing (otherwise I have to load the paper manually). It hold the preferences in a user only for the duration of the logon and then defaults back to the original settings (administrator user - local and network included).

Is there any way I can set fixed preferences on a local machine for any user and/or is there an easier of allocating one printer to a group of computers through W2K? Thanks.

I don't know whether HP4100n is an new model or an old one, if it is an old one, then usually the driver is not 100% support to win2k up even you can download the latest driver from HP's web, if it is the case try to buy a new printer.

Check the tray settings through the printers web interface and make sure they are correctly set.

If you log onto the print server as an adminstrator, you can then go to the properties for each printer and set them as you want. These settings will remain as the defaults for all users.

The users then can reset the properties for specific print jobs by using the DOCUMENT DEFAULTS dialog, not the printer properties.

I hope this helps,
Dana

Thanks for the pointers so far. I have re-installed the network printer and I logged in as admin and added the printer (both local and network admins).It is holding the preferences now but it will not pick up the printer for other users on the same machine. I know this is probably something simple that I am missing but I just can't see what that is.

Fred

Hmm LO,

Network printers shared off a server are Profile based. sooo printer installed for 1 user on machine wont be installed for other users.
there are numerous ways to get round this
either everyone prints straight to the network printer-- =bad tho becasue you cannot manage print jobs centrally.
so the best way to do this is:
install Print services for UNIX on server
install same thing on all clients--win2k and xp however for NT and win98 its called somthing slightly diff poss i havnt got one to clarify that.
on server make sure TCPIP Printing service is started and set service to AUTOMATIC as its manual by default.
on workstations logon as administrator and add a printer-- choose new PORT and choose LPR port (u get this after print services for UNIX is installed)
port address is the ip addy of server and the QUEUE name is the name of the printer SHARE.
now this makes the printer a LOCAL printer on the pc which means its carried across all the profiles.

or alternatively u can set in the logon script \\server\printershare name and it will automatically open it and install it (driver willing) but you`ll have an annoying printerque window open when u log in.
i go for the origonal option myself as it looks more proffessional although it takes longer
MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

GarethT

The Unix print services sounds like the solution I'm looking for (I am trying to move away from login scripts). I am not familiar with Print services for UNIX - is it a component included in Windows 2000 server, or is it specific to the printer, is it downloadable? I've had a quick scan on the net for it and seen a couple of references to it but nothing of substance.

Thanks for the help so far.

Its in add remove windows components in control panel.
under other network file and print services.

let me know how it goes- but that is the solution to your problem MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Fred,
Unless your users are constantly changing computers, Adding the printers once should not really be a problem. It's very easy to do from a user standpoint.

We even have the Unix and Linux users printing to the Windows print shares without print services for Unix installed. (To do this you would need to dedicate a Windows account for this purpose)

In my book, simple is better!

Also, GarethT is correct that printers are "profile based" But you could just add the printers to the computer's "default user" profile. That way any user that logs in for the first time will get the printers automatically.

Dana

I have tried installing the Unix Print Services. when I select it in the network file and print services it tells me that it requires 0mb to install. This does not seem right. I went through the process anyway but there is no sign of it!I may be missing something really obvious here.

Regarding Dana's suggestion of adding it to the user profile - the problem there is that the users are roaming and use different printers in different locations. I want them to be only able to see the printer for the specific location they are in.

I agree that simple is good but the philosophy does not always fit - unfortunately!

yeah bud 0 mb is correct,
it quite often askes you for the XP or "K cd after that once uve clicked NEXT
anyway u can tell if its installed as in PORTS in your printer settings u click ADD and u get LPR port as an option MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

A quick note to close this query (unless anyone can provide a better solution!) for the benefit of those gracious enough to give their advice.

I have added all the printers to the user profiles - this at least allows the users to print. It's an imperfect solution. Ideally I wanted to assign specific printers to specific locations so that any user logging in could would only see one printer (the one assigned for that location). I intend to keep on searching for an answer to this and I'll post it as a tip if and when. As a converted Novell user, I find it hard to believe that Microsoft have not taken something like this into consideration. Thanks again to those who contributed

It's not a complete solution, but adding the users to security groups with different printing rights would only allow the users to print to the printers that are near them based on the security you set. (they would still see all of the printers, of course)
Dana

Hmm the solution i mentioed IS the CORRECT solution--i do these installations every week for large schools MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Hey, GarethT, please don't think that I was implying that your solution was not complete, what I was saying was that the solution that I was suggesting was not complete because it met most, but not all of Fred's request.

Dana

yeah bud--i was saying that to Fred- not you buddy

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back