Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer: Invalid printer specified error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statey603

Programmer
Nov 10, 2009
US
Hello,

I have added a network printer to the Crystal Server [SAP Business Objects Enterprise 14.1.0] via Central Management Console - Applications - Crystal Reports Configuration - Printer List.

As the same Admin user that was used to configure the printer, I set up a report to test the printer. Right-click report -> schedule -> print settings - Set layout to: Specify printer settings, Specify the printer: my_network_printer.

When I schedule the report, it shows Pending, then Failed with the following error.
Invalid printer specified. ~tmp1cd47bc52185e20.rpt.

This installation is all new (server, etc).

Do I need to install printer drivers or enable services to get this to work?

I appreciate any assistance with this.

Thanks.

I figured this out and figured others might run into this or a similar situation.

The Network Printer was added via Central Management Console - Applications - Crystal Reports Configuration - Printer List. There are 2 columns of data required for each printer: Printer Name and Printer Connection. I had entered a simple descriptive text name in the Printer Name field and then the official ServerName\PrinterName values in the Printer Connection field. It turns out that the Printer Name field MUST include the server name as well as the printer name [go figure]. I changed the printer name from: [HP Multi-Function Printer 1] to: [\\ServerName\Hp_MultiFunctionPrinter_1] and ran a schedule instance and it printed successfully.

P.S. Does anyone know where there is documentation concerning the Network Printer configuration on the Business Object Enterprise Server? The PDFs that I have revirewed do not seem to cover this and it is so hard to find info on their site because there is so much stuff named Business Object Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back