Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

netwalker1

Programmer
Feb 5, 2000
EG
In Breif :
I have a PC with Win2000, and I want all the users can install anything on the computer , but at the same time they can't change the IP of the PC .. can anyone help me ? Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Have you tried the Local Power Users group. I know they can install software, but I don't think they can change IPs, could be wrong... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

You could create a group policy and remove the networking icon from the desktop and control panel. This would affect the admin as well. I have been told that if in the properties of the GPO you deny apply group policy to the admin that they wont be affected.

but this will prevent them from accessing the Network !
so that they will not be able to connect to any PC on the network !? Eng.Mohamed Farid

The group policy would be the way to go if you have 2000 servers. Create the group policy and apply it at to the appropriate OU's in Active Directory.

We currently have all of our users as members of the Administrators group so that they can install software patches (Client Access Express), but have locked them out of the properties of the network connection. This will leave them with the ability to browse the network still via the network places Icon on the desktop, but they will not be able to change the properties of the local area connection itself.

netwalker1,

You can just delete the 'clsid' from the registry related to the "My Network Places".
This will eliminate the access to the properties (right click menu) and they can still browse for other users.
The disadvantage about this is you have to do it locally on every pc. If you dont like that idea, create the new group mentionned it the previous post.

Hope this helps!

Genuis22 :
It worked ,, just as I want ! Thanx ! Eng.Mohamed Farid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back