Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzLogic

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
I have an app, written in vfp 7.0
12 stations are connected to a win2k server.
10/100 Fast Switch
Stations are mixed (some are ME,2000,XP Home, 98SE)

2 stations, 1 is Win2K, and one is Win98SE will laod so so so sllllooooowly when they are opening the data files..

the others are like (Blink of an eye)

When no one is using the app, the slow machine will open it so fast.

They are using 10/100 Nic card..

I shrunk the exe size down using Evaluation of Konxise and it is still the same.

Any thoughts? Please let me know if this helped you :)

Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

TeknoSDS

If it works properly elsewhere, I would go with either defective NIC, or pinched (defective wire). Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Double check the network settings on the slow machines as compared to a fast machine of the same type.

Do they have the same protocols loaded with the same settings?

Do they have more protocols (possibly unneeded)?

Is the exe on the network?

If so you might want to copy it to the client machines and just leave the data files on the network.

Do you have both the workstation PC and the server using something like Norton Anti-Virus where both get to check each and every file when they are opened.

Many have seen performance increases by excluding certain file types or server folders from overscanning on the client side. Afterall, if it's on the server, the server is already protecting it from the dreaded virus stuff.

==Carl
Carl Warner
VFUG Officer,

Thank you for the reply!

1) NAV (I did the Exclusion for my whole app directory)
2) I have NetBUI/TCP IP Installed on all machines (well, Netbui not on XP)
3) I tried putting the EXE on the Local DISK and have the short-cut start in the Shared Folder of the server
4) Like I said before, When no one is using the application, It loads very very quick, but, if 1 is using it, it goes slooooooooowwww

5) I did not change the card. <- this is the only thing i didn't try.

Any other suggestions? Please let me know if this helped you :)

Tekno
Wireless Toyz
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Try getting rid of NETBUI Use one protocol only - made my network 20% faster but that was the entire network. If you have a one machine problem, check the hardware.

On the slow machines - are other network applications also operating slowly? If so then it is likely a network connectivity problem and the above feedback should be helpful - also check the duplex settings on the NIC and also make sure it is not set to AutoSelect, but set to 100Mb (assuming your network supports that throughput).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back